Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
The IRS announced this week that is is now releasing electronically-filed 990s, 990-EZs, and 990-PFs from 2011 to the present in machine readable format. This change will make it much easier for watchdog groups and others interested in analyzing 990 data for trends (and issues) in the sector. For more information see the IRS' notice, and my previous blog post on the subject.