Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
Since late December 2015 we have been on the lookout for implementing regulations regarding the new notice requirements on certain 501(c)(4) organizations. The IRS has now issued Revenue Procedure 2016-41 and the Treasury Department issued final and temporary regulations implementing the new requirement that organizations must notify the IRS within 60 days of their creation if they intend to operate as an organization described under Section 501(c)(4). For some of the background on this requirement, please see my prior posts here and here.Read more...