Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Drafting and review of Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
- Initial Application for federal tax exemption
- Ongoing counsel on federal tax compliance issues
- Lobbying and policy advocacy compliance rules
- State and Federal tax reporting requirements
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Drafting, review and implementation of workplace policies
- Hiring and termination practices
- State and federal employment law compliance issues
Latest blog post...
On June 30, 2014, the National Taxpayer Advocate supplemented the required Fiscal Year 2014 Objectives Report to Congress (outlining work for the upcoming fiscal year) with National Taxpayer Advocate Special Report to Congress: Political Activity and the Rights of Applicants for Tax-Exempt Status. The highlighted quote from Nina Olson on the homepage of the report says: “Today, the IRS is an institution in crisis. In my view, however, the real crisis is not the one generating headlines. The real crisis facing the IRS – and therefore taxpayers – is a radically transformed mission coupled with inadequate funding to accomplish that mission. As a consequence of this crisis, the IRS gives limited consideration to taxpayer rights or fundamental tax administration principles as it struggles to get its job done.”Read more...