Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
As of September 23, 2016, Minneapolis City Council has amended the previously enacted sick and safe leave ordinance, which goes into effect July 1, 2017. The city will release a FAQ document in October regarding these revisions but until then, our friend Corie Tarara @mnwageandhour has succinctly outlined the amendments, which can be found here.