Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying, advocacy, and political activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Operational and governance policies
- Sales tax and property tax exemption issues
Latest blog post...
On April 24, 2017, I'll be presenting with Rebecca Lucero, Public Policy Director with MCN, at the Minnesota State Bar Association. We will be discussing Nonprofits and Political Activity in These Political Times. This presentation will provide an overview and specific examples on the types of issues most nonprofits need to consider in order to manage the risks that exist with engaging in advocacy activities, particularly during these times when organizations may be expanding their advocacy and lobbying work. Register here, by April 20th.