Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Drafting and review of Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
- Initial Application for federal tax exemption
- Ongoing counsel on federal tax compliance issues
- Lobbying and policy advocacy compliance rules
- State and Federal tax reporting requirements
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Drafting, review and implementation of workplace policies
- Hiring and termination practices
- State and federal employment law compliance issues
Latest blog post...
In both 2011 and 2012, Internal Revenue Service data shows that there were about 1.08 million charitable organizations in the United States. Data from that same period shows that approximately 45,000 new applications were approved in 2012. One of the conclusions that can be drawn from this is: charitable organizations are going out of business at about the same rate as they are starting up. As with any small business, even the most well-intentioned and well thought out organizations may not be able to sustain long-term. However, if founders of a new organization go into the venture having thought through their options fully, they are moving forward with their eyes wide open prepared for the inevitable bumps in the road.Read more...