Emily began working in the nonprofit sector during college, and has not strayed far from it since. She believes that the nonprofit sector plays an indispensible role in giving a voice to underserved communities. The combined experience of working both within the nonprofit community and as an advisor to nonprofits has provided her with the ability to understand both the culture within the organization and the particular demands that nonprofits face on a daily basis. By focusing her entire practice on the nonprofit community, she is able to better advise organizations on the unique issues that affect the sector.
- Incorporation and initial start-up issues
- Application for federal tax exempt status
- Ongoing advice regarding federal tax compliance
- Compliance around lobbying and advocacy activities
- Fiscal sponsorship
- Donor Advised Funds
- Charitable solicitation regulation
- Governance and best practices
- Contract drafting and review
- Mergers and Dissolutions
- Drafting, review and implementation of workplace policies
- Hiring and termination practices
Latest blog post...
Almost everyone intersects at some point in their life with a nonprofit organization that provides access to opportunities for children or adults to learn and play sports. As many folks may be aware due to recent media coverage, even the NFL is a nonprofit organization (a 501(c)(6) organization, which covers organizations like business leagues and chambers of commerce). How (and whether) these organizations qualify as tax-exempt depends on the specific activities of the organization.Read more...