Robertson Law: Practice Areas

What does it mean to be a "nonprofit attorney"?  It means that I only work with nonprofit organizations.  More specifically, it means that I focus the majority of my practice advising organizations on the areas of law that are unique to nonprofits.  Much of that involves either the IRS or state authorities like the Attorney General.  I also have years of experience, in various capacities, within the nonprofit sector that inform my work in other areas that are not as unique, like contracts and business law.  I advise on many of the issue that affect an organization's daily operations.  Think of me as a small business attorney for the nonprofit sector!  

When should you contact a nonprofit attorney?

  1. When you are starting a new nonprofit
  2. When you are merging or co-programming with another nonprofit
  3. When you are shutting down an existing nonprofit
  4. When you are creating, revising, or interpreting documents governing the organization – Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and board/organizational policies
  5. When you have questions regarding an employee or an independent contractor, such as: hiring or termination issues; employee vs. independent contractor; hiring an intern; executive compensation
  6. When you want to stay compliant with laws regulating fundraising activities
  7. When you are expanding activities into other states or out of the country
  8. When you are engaging in lobbying or policy advocacy, or partisan campaign activities
  9. Before agreeing to act as a fiscal sponsor/fiscal agent (or, before entering into an agreement with another organization to be your organization’s fiscal sponsor/fiscal agent)
  10. Before signing a contract, lease, memorandum of understanding/agreement, or other similar document
  11. If you are involved with a lawsuit or worried about potential liabilities that could result in a lawsuit
  12. If you are concerned about issues affecting tax-exempt status, such as: before making significant changes to the organization’s programs and activities; before engaging in activities involving the sale of items or services; when tax-exempt status has been revoked by the IRS (or revocation is proposed); foundation status issues/public support test issues
  13. When you have questions regarding state tax issues, such as property tax and/or sales tax exemption
  14. When considering operating a donor advised fund or anything similar in which donor's are given rights to provide ongoing advice on the use of donated funds
  15. When your organization is the recipient of a federal grant or contract

If you do not see your issue addressed in the above list, please feel free to call or email me.  If I am not the best person to assist you, I am happy to direct you to other resources.  All new clients receive a free initial consultation.  


Attorney Advertising